This test is used to diagnose cobalt toxicity or to monitor cobalt therapy. The symptoms of acute exposure are nausea, vomiting, pulmonary fibrosis, allergy, hemorrhage, and cardiomyopathy. Chronic exposure is associated with allergic dermatitis, nausea, vomiting, pulmonary fibrosis, cough, dyspnea, and heart disease (including myocardial failure).
Cobalt is a naturally occurring element which is considered a mineral. Small amounts of cobalt in the body contribute to normal cellular formation, but in high amounts it can be detrimental, causing skin and nerve damage. The most common method of exposure to cobalt is in the industrial setting and it can be inhaled, touched or ingested. This test measures the amount of cobalt in the blood plasma in order to diagnose toxicity. Deficiency in cobalt is rare since it is well supplemented in the diet and environment, therefore, this test is reserved for those exhibiting signs and symptoms of cobalt toxicity.
This test is performed in following conditions such as:
• Nerve problems
• Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
• Thickening of the blood
• Thyroid problems
Also Known As: Co
People testing for industrial exposure should have blood drawn at the end of shift at the end of the work week. Refrain from taking mineral supplements, vitamin B12 or vitamin B complex 3 days prior to specimen collection
Estimated Time Taken
Turnaround time for this test is typically 2-3 business days.